Smoothie Bowl Summer
At Habitare HQ we love a delicious bowl of porridge more than most things... but sometimes in the midst of Summer we just want something cool, fruity and refreshing.
A smoothie bowl is a great way of upping your fruit and veggie intake for the day, a fantastic way of sneaking in extra protein and not to mention one of the most aesthetic, instagrammable brekkies going around.
That being said, it is important to note that they are not inherently healthy, and you need to watch what goes into it to ensure you're not just consuming the sugar equivalent of a bottle of soft drink.
1. Choose your liquid vector
Milk, almond milk, coconut milk, coconut water, water
We tend to go for these ingredients because they are tasty and comparably low calorie. We tend to avoid using fruit juices as this ups the sugar content. We love the Nutty Bruce nut milks.
2. Add your protein powder
Add your preferred protein powder. We love Bulk Nutrients HCP (hydrolysed collagen peptides) in raw flavour. It is easily blendable and the flavour is undetectable in the final product.
3. Add your fruits
Smoothie bowls are a fantastic way to enjoy your favourite fruits even when they are out of season. Simply chop and freeze them when they are at their peak, and add as much or as little to your mix as you like, bearing in mind that the more frozen fruit you add, the thicker your smoothie will be.
We love banana, raspberries and mango.
4. Add your veggies
We love to sneak extra veggies into our day wherever we can. A handful of baby spinach usually does the trick.
At this point you could add a squeeze of honey, a spoonful of cocoa powder, a dash of cinnamon, even a hit of coffee if you dare!
Add a sprinkle of extra chopped fruit, nuts and seeds of your choice, and the obligatory dollop of peanut butter, again being mindful that not matter how pretty the bowl looks, the sugars and fats still add up!
7. Take a picture to commemorate your handiwork
They say you eat with your eyes, so why not serve your smoothie in our natural coconut shell bowls and really immerse yourself in the vibes of Summer?
Some of our favourite combos:
1. 250ml activated hazelnut milk, a shot of coffee, a scoop of protein powder, a frozen banana, two dates, a tablespoon of cocoa powder, a dash of cinnamon, topped with 1/2 a fresh sliced banana, cacao nibs, crushed roasted hazelnuts and a dollop of peanut butter
2. 250ml coconut milk, a frozen banana, 1/2 a cup of frozen raspberries, a scoop of protein powder, topped with a handful of granola, some fresh raspberries and a dollop of almond butter
3. 250ml milk, a mango, the pulp of a passionfruit, a scoop of protein powder, a dash of vanilla essence, a pinch of salt, 1/4 of a cup of traditional oats, topped with a sprinkle of toasted desiccated coconut, crushed roasted macadamias, linseeds and a dollop of Greek yoghurt
4. 250ml coconut water, a kiwi fruit, a small cucumber, a scoop of collagen powder, 1 cup of cubed watermelon, a large handful of baby spinach, a few mint leaves, a cup of ice, topped with sliced fresh kiwi, sliced green apple, hemp seeds, and a drizzle of honey
What are some of your favourite combos? Tag us in your creations #habitarelifestyle